As part of the planning phase of a Capital Program governments require a refined definition of the impact or extent of each capital project from a number of dimensions. Further they need to gather qualitative and quantitative information what will allow the capital project, its impacts, and benefits to be compared to other project under consideration. This “impact analysis” is referred to as project scoping within the CIPAce™ Capital Program Management framework.
CIPAce™ Project Scoping Module provides comprehensive functions and tools to allow not only to capture a project’s financial impacts , but also other dimensions, direct or indirect impacts, planning relationships, and assessment criteria as well. For example:
- Environmental impacts
- Public safety concerns
- American Disability Act compliances
- Public Art
- Condition Assessments
- Comprehensive plan recommendations
- Facility or Campus Plan recommendations.
- Compliance and fit to a jurisdiction’s strategic initiatives
- Operating Budget Impact
- Maintenance Budget Impact
- Planning and Zoning impact
CIPAce™ Project Scoping Module allows performance of on-going reviews of all the scoping dimensions that are important to your organization's consideration using a template driven approach to standardize the methods of consideration. .
CIPAce™ Project Scoping Module has embedded workflow logic to facilitate ongoing scoping review. Multiple levels of review and workflow can be configured to fully document the review and approval process to accurately reflect your agencies business process. All scoping documentation, evaluation and changes are captured and stored for future reference.
CIPAce™ Project Scoping Module supports consideration of multiple project scenarios and the rippling effect of those scenarios across the entire program. This is a very powerful feature that has a number of uses and benefits tailored to your organizations business process. Some examples would be
- Calculation of the total cost of ownership for facilities projects that have significant operating and maintenance impact.
- Creation of a phased project execution approach to match financial constraints
- Capture of and estimates that are appropriate for a capital projects life cycle stage i.e.
- Rough Order of Magnitude project cost i.e. $300 per foot of 8 inch line under concrete,
- A refined cost scope estimate at the design phase.
- A further refined cost scope at the engineering phase
- A monthly cash flow scope for the entire project or just the construction phase.
Each new scenario can be created with out losing the prior scenario, creating an accurate story of how a project or program evolved.
Template Driven Environment
CIPAce™ Project Scoping Module supports the use of multiple types of pre-defined templates based on the impact estimation practices of your jurisdiction. The types of templates that can be established to standardize your scoping practices include:
- Financial Cost Scoping Template (i.e. project cost, operating cost, maintenance cost, revenue generation)
- Environmental Impact Analysis Template
- Compliance Analysis
- Final Preconstruction estimates using detailed line item classification structures such as Object Code, Work Break Down Structures, or Schedule of Values.